Thursday, November 17, 2011

Me? Sports? Psht!!

For those of you who really know me, you know I have not, am not, and probably never will be a sporty girl. Sure I like sitting down watching football with my day, or basketball, when the NBA is being stupid, or going to intense hockey games. I love watching sports! But I've never been the type of girl to just be on a team and play whatever sport. I have never had a great desire to play sports.

Well, my dear cousin, Ashton, decided he wanted to start up an indoor soccer team (since he's not on two other teams already). He was texting me asking me how I was doing and we got talking about doing the soccer team. At first, I was like "Heck no am I doing that! It has been FOREVER since I've played soccer." But as I was thinking about it and thinking about my life, I realized it was exactly what I needed. I thought of how my life was a complete mess at the time and how everything seemed to keep getting worse or everything was going wrong. I thought that maybe this one thing, besides the gospel, would help keep me grounded and give me something to occupy some of my time and just give me purpose again. Its funny how being on a team can do that for you.

Tuesday was the start of the season. I was so excited all day for the first game, even if it meant that I would be up way past my normal bedtime. I got done with work and was thinking of what else I needed to get done before I headed to my game. That's when I started freaking out. It clicked in my mind that I have not played soccer since I was about 8. What the heck was I thinking?! Here I was getting ready to go play soccer for the first time in 12 years against people who have been playing basically their whole lives. I just kept telling myself I was insane. But at 10:45 pm I was at my game, ready to humiliate myself in front of people.

Its true, I'm not that excellent at soccer. I'm out of shape and was out of breath. But I will say I held my own. Out of the 45 minute game, I was out on the field for about 35 minutes. Granted, we were short on girls for our team and I had to be out there. But I did everything I could to help the team. Some of my teammates kept telling me where to go, or who to cover, and just kept helping me out. These are people I had met just 10 minutes before the game. It was so great to know that they were willing to help me out and teach me a few things instead of just ignoring me on the field.

I'm bruised and sore from the game. But I can honestly say that I had so much fun! It was about an hour of my time where the only thing I had to think about was soccer. Nothing about the drama of my life came to my mind. I didn't think of all my tests and papers I have coming up. No thoughts of work. It was just getting to the ball, running down the field, covering the super tall guy, who kicked me and gave me a nice bruise on my leg. Even if I didn't get a lot of sleep and woke up sore, it was so worth it. So for right now, I'm going to be a sporty girl. It probably won't last that long. But its exactly what I need in my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment