Friday, December 16, 2011

Why Men and Women CAN be Friends

There has been a video circulating the Facebook world about if guys and girls can be friends
If you have not seen it (or just think its hilarious and want to watch again), take a minute to watch it.


I won't lie... Its hilarious. The sandwich guy is by far my favorite!
But... I have to disagree. 
This kid is saying its impossible because there is that underlying attraction,
But that does not mean the guy and girl can't still be FRIENDS.
I have many a guy friends who I think are very attractive, but I know they are just FRIENDS

Example:
When I was with my ex I got to know his roommates and some of his friends pretty well. There were a few that I thought were so cute, but we were just friends because I was obviously with someone else. They still were my friends and we would talk about things that any friend would talk about. Even after I broke up with the ex, I have still remained friends with one in particular and he's helped me with things and I've helped him. But we still are just FRIENDS.

Another example:
Last year around this time a lot of the guys in my ward just got home from their missions. There was one in particular I thought was so cute and at first I was definitely interested in him. Then I found out that he was dating someone and now they are happily married. But I didn't know him at all before his mission and I feel I got to know him after even though he was dating/engaged/married. He is someone that I love to see and spend time with whenever I can. His wife knows that I'll talk to him. He is probably one of my most favorite people and he is just a FRIEND.

Last Example:
I have had a great guy friend here in So. Weber for the past year and half. He has been a constant friend. I'm pretty sure he has been interested in me from time to time. But in my mind he is just a FRIEND. Once he figured that out, our relationship completely changed. You might think that our friendship ended, when in fact it became so much better. There is just so much more we can talk about and joke around about now. I mean the other night we went to a friend's birthday party together and on our way home he was asking me if I was interested in a guy. My dear friend then went on to give me advice on how to show interest and make sure the guy knew that. It was so great! And you know what he is just a FRIEND. In fact he's one of my BEST FRIENDS. (I even have a friendship bracelet to prove it)

So I disagree with the video. 
There may be an attraction to your friend, but you can still be FRIENDS
Just because there is that instinctive attraction to each other doesn't mean that you can't be FRIENDS
I personally hope that I will marry my BEST FRIEND
I may not know him at this time, but I hope we take times to become FRIENDS first.
So its ok to be FRIENDS with people you are attracted to.

4 comments:

  1. Amen.

    If this video was true then my entire life and MOST of my friendships are a lie and well.. we know they aren't :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly!! Like its a funny video. But its a skewed perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you miss the point entirely. This video is not a skewed perspective, it is a guy's perspective. As you watch the video, the girls are asked if their guy friends would hook up with them if given the chance; in almost every case the answer was yes. The point is that the only reason you are just friends with these guys is because you have said no to anything more. of all the guys you listed above that are single do you think any of them would deny you if you went to them and said you wanted more than friendship? Every time you see them they think about and want more than friendship, but they know they can't because it is not mutual. So while in your mind you are just friends, the guys are wanting more. In the video every girl asked said yes that they could just be friends, and every guy said no. So there is a peek into a guy's world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this Alexa!!! so true.

    ReplyDelete