Monday, January 9, 2012

Inspiration's Power

I had one of the most incredible experiences at church on Sunday. I had started the day off thinking about what I wanted to fast about, since it was Fast Sunday. As I was reflecting on my life as of late, I realized what I needed the most was comfort to know that things would work out the way God intended them too. I decided to fast for comfort while I was feeling lost and confused.

I got to church, not thinking anything special would happen, and I was just focusing on my worship. One of the stake presidency members, President Chang, was visiting my ward that day. He was there to obviously see how the ward was, but also because an old student of his just got back from his mission and he wanted to come see him.

President Chang is one of my favorite leaders. He is so in tune with the Spirit and has a way of relating things to the YSA wards in a way that we understand them. After the meeting, I went up to him to shake his hand and say hello. As I was doing so, he asked me if I had a second to talk with him. I told him that I would love to. I had to wait just a little bit as he was saying hello to some other people in the ward. Finally, after he talked with the newly returned missionary he came to visit, we went into a classroom to have a chat.

I have gotten to know President Chang fairly well since he was called into the stake presidency. He knows what trials I have been going through lately and always asks how I am doing. So we started out our conversation with some pleasantries and I explained to him that I was feeling lost and confused again. I told him how I could not figure out what was right and how everything I thought about seemed like it would be good, but nothing felt right. President Chang explained to me at that point in time why he had asked me to talk with him. While up on the stand during sacrament meeting, he felt that he needed to talk with Alexa Smith. He did not know why, he had planned on talking with the young man he came to see, but knew that he needed to talk with me for whatever reason.

As we talked, I realized that it was an answer to my prayers. He was able to help me realize so many things that I hadn't figured out on my own. He gave me such great counsel and gave me hope that something great was coming my way and that I just needed to be patient and have faith in my Heavenly Father's plan for me.

We never know when inspiration will come to us, but when it does, we all need to act upon it. You have no idea what it will mean to someone else. I would still be feeling lost and confused with life, ready to give up all hope, if President Chang had not pulled me aside and gave me the guidance I needed. I'm sorry that I pulled President Chang away from seeing the young man he had intended on visiting with. I hope he will forgive me, but at that moment in time, Heavenly Father saw that I needed this guidance. Heavenly Father knows each of us individually and knows exactly when to send help our way. I am so grateful for this experience. It is one I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment